Comments

171 …

No work for a week! Yippee After weeks of working in a busy, hectic, NOISY environment the silence is BLISS!

If I get all the happiness I’ve been wished over the past few days I should be basking in it! Lol

Seriously, whether you’re on day 1, 7 ,70, whatever, keep going, things can only get better.

Be kind to yourself, don’t deny yourself the opportunity to prosper. Gambling stole so much from us, our time, our money and our self esteem.

All the best, keeping it gf,

I was reading an article recently that mentioned that millionaires share 3 similar traits ..

1. They don’t fret over rejection … it doesn’t faze them.

2. They remain focused on their goals and

3. They live well below their means

Take gambling out of the equation and I tick all three boxes ….. here’s to becoming a millionaire!

Check in later.

Thank goodness that’s the festive season over. It’s become one big con, I thought the quality of food, confectionery etc in the shops etc was dire , overpriced s**t if I’m honest. Rubbish disguised in fancy packaging.

Talking of cons … so glad to be freeing myself from all that gambling s**t … 170 days gf, 12 days to the half way mark of 6 months. :)

Day 169 ….. one of those days when nothing seemed to go right …..

168 ..

Spent today sorting out my finances :(

So glad to be slowly but surely leaving gambling behind.

167 …

166 ..

165 days gf.

163 days gf.

Time to relect as the year draws to an end …

The past year has been one of two halves, I pretty much gambled away every single penny I earned after living costs in the first half of the year, made the decision to stop gambling and saved every spare penny after living costs in the second half of the year. No brainier as to which one has made me financially better off.

I don’t really get a thrill when I see my day count, 163 days doesnt seem a lot, no the real thrill comes everytime I check my bank balance, I find myself pleasantly surprised.

This will probably be my last post for this year so I wish you all ..

Good health, continuing employment, happiness and prosperity in the New Year.

Onwards I travel …. closing in on 6 months gf!

Day 162.

Off to work, I’m beginning to wonder how I ever found the time to gamble.

Looking forward to a new year, hopefully it will be gamble free and I can begin the next decade of this century having put this eposide of my life well and truly behind me.

Have a good day!

On a break so been thinking about New Years Resolutions.

1. Obviously no gambling.

2. Stop carrying loose change.. tired of giving to unaccountable charities. If I dont carry loose change I can’t get fleeced. Whenever I ask people who have kids with disabilities etc if they get any help from charities they always say no …. so where does all the bloody money go?..

Last week I overheard someone say … ‘over- help someone and they won’t realise they’ve got a problem’. A lot of truth in that. Okay there will be some people in genuine need of help through no fault of their own but it made me think … do food banks and toy appeals just keep the feckless, feckless?

Did some research on the subject … yes, you can do more damage than good by being over generous with your time, money or sharing your skills. If you over help someone it may stop them from reaching their own potential or facing up to their responsibilities/actions.

As they say …’heaven help me from do-gooders’ . Lol

I sometimes wonder if showing too much understanding and tolerance of another persons addiction may not necessarily be a good thing either. Did we at times keep each other gambling on this forum because we were inclined to excuse each others behaviour with regard to relapsing. I sometimes wonder if folk have had greater success at remaining gamble free by staying away from the forum?

Alcoholics of course like to drink with other alcoholics because again, this excuses their behaviour.

Anyway no more excuses …….. 161 days gf.

Tbc

If you recall (although I’m probably talking to myself lol) I made a comment recently about detesting bag packers who rock up at this time of year in your local supermarket with their smug sense of entitlement offering to pack your shopping in exchange for your hard earned cash. Strange how you never see them the other 364 days of the year when they know there will be little pickings! Its not that I begrudge them a few bob its just their sense of entitlement that f***s me off. (Sorry for bad language but they really bug me)

Tbc

After reading back my comments about the bag packers I was beginning to question my thinking, was I a callous cow? So I decided to do some research. Where better than M&S, 3 days before Christmas. I deliberately joined the longest queue with me steak pie in hand! Lol

Despite having trolleys laden with shopping all three shoppers in front of me in the queue politely refused the offer to have their shopping packed by the bag packers. Were they being mean or perhaps had they scrimped and saved over the past year in order to splash out and have a good Christmas and they were quite right not to entrust their shopping to a bunch of disintetested bag packers?

I won’t name the organisation who were bag packing but in my humble opinion I didnt see it as a charity so that may have been a factor in folk not wanting to donate.

So that’s 2 of my New Years Resolutions …

Not a single penny to the gambling industry

And 2

I’m not going to feel pressurised into giving money to charity just because someone rsttles a tin in my face. If i want to do something charitable, I’m going to make sure it goes to where its needed and not to the f*****g GREEDY.

Talking of the greedy and the self entitled that brings me to my final New Years resolution … my family … but that’s for another day.

A twelve hour shift abeckons ..

Enjoy your day …

Yay, another zero, 160 days gf.

Feeling a lot better for eating healthier today. Hotel chocolat chocolate is too rich for me. Give me a box of maltesers any day. Everything seems to be overrated nowadays. Consumerism … Starting to appreciate the simple things in life.

Early night for me, busy weekend ahead and a New Year’s Eve party to organise. Roll on Tuesday whenI get a day off, although I won’t be able to do anything, everything will be closed. Lol I hate New Year celebrations, least favourite day of the year.

Keeping it gamble free, Joanne

Time to get off your butts and get down the gym for a work out! Lol

Decorations down, leftover food in the dustbin (better to clog up the bin than the arteries).

Wished I’d been as clinical in my approach to gambling! Lol

Time to make way for a new year …. a new me … healthier, wiser and gamble free.

Have a good day!

If you can’t access a gym, enjoy the great outdoors.

Cya laters.

Get a move on, ……. you’ll thank me when you’re a lean, mean, sex machine. Hahaha

Okay, I set the bar too high for you, that was a bit too ambitious ….. hahahahahahaha rollin about on the floor with laughter

Fair enough, you’re probably all traipsing around the stores bargain hunting, spending your gift vouchers. I didn’t get any! :(

I only got 2 presents, a tin of quality street from my parents (i dont even like them except for the toffee penny) and more chocolates from my son, Hotel chocolat, and of course the wine, etc for working Xmas day.

Better to give than receive … definitely not giving anything more to a casino or bookie!

Time to do a little work … it feels so quiet today.

Another good day despite having to work. Double pay, great atmosphere at work and got a couple of bottles of wine and chocs as a thank you for working yesterday :)

However need to stop grazing on chocs, cake, mince pies etc in between meals :(

159 days gf.

Hopefully end the year on day 164 ….

Santa and me are through, useless b***er! Some other gal got lucky and found Motty in her stocking. We’ll just have to have an affair.

Happy Boxing Day, enjoy the sport, gamble free of course.

Another day of work, although a lot quieter today.

I have to admit been thinking about gambling lately :(

All the best, Joanne

Merry Christmas, Motty. I hope you’re gettin loads of lovin’!

I’ve had a great day.

158 days gf.

Sod the lot of you…

158 days gamble free.

Another hectic shift tomorrow so time for some zzzz

Joanne :)

Have a great day, Loser.

Merry Christmas.

One more sleep until I find Motty in my stocking! Lol

It feels like the whole world is partyin’ whilst I’m working. :(

Keeping it gamble free … Joanne

Motty

I’ll be like a rat up a drainpipe you dirtbag

Hope you’re all having fun in the build up to Christmas.

Too busy working to even think about gambling.

Enjoy today ….. gamble free!

Joanne the ‘loony tune’

I must be a ‘looney tune’ …. always talking to myself!

154 …

153 …

Rewrite the stars …

152 days gf.

Make the wiser choice and keep it gamble free.

If my memory serves me well I think Nik could be 1 year gf today.

Give yourself the best possible chance of overcoming this addiction, if you’re an online gambler register with Gamstop (type in Gamstop gambling addiction) and it should appear in your search results. I’ve signed up for the maximum five years and I shall extend this for another 5 years on 25th May 2023!!! I will never ever play a slot machine/pokie again, NEVER.

I realise it isn’t easy for those that gamble in a casino/bookie/arcade to self-exclude. My nearest casino /arcade would involve an 8 hour road trip so obviously not a problem. Although I joke about going into a bookies, I won’t, it would be like walking into a male toilet lol I see bookies as ‘male territory’.

If necessary hand over control of your finances to a trusted family member.

152 days and countin’….

Being serious … Steve, I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time with this addiction and that your finding some of my posts unhelpful.

Your post got me thinking … am I a compulsive gambler or just someone with a gambling problem.

I think ( just my opinion) that I probably stopped short of being a compulsive and would describe myself as someone who had a gambling problem.

I have always felt slightly at odds with most of the regulars who have posted here …

I never saw gambling as a money maker ie a means to pay a bill, etc. I always met my financial obligations first and then gambled any left over money.

I never chased losses. I didn’t give any thought to the amount of money I was throwing away whilst gambling. As far as I was concerned I was buying ‘entertainment’.
It is only since giving up gambling that I have thought about how much I have lost. It hurts! When I had no money, I simply didnt gamble. I never borrowed money or sold any of my belongings to gamble. I think the fact that I didnt borrow to gamble demonstrates that I wasn’t a compulsive, but someone who had a problem but not to the point of being a compulsive.

As gambling took its hold on me I guess I was just paying for a chemical hit!

Over time I came to realise that the price tag was too high and I needed to stop. If I’m honest I was being to feel very STUPID for pouring vast sums of money down a slot machine. It was only when I tried to stop gambling that I realised just how addicted I had become.

Tbc

I very much doubt I would have achieved 151 days gamble free if it wasn’t for Gamstop.

Even though it’s still early days I just feel so much happier (normal) knowing that I’m saving money instead of being FOOLISH and chucking it down a slot machine.

Thoughts of gambling used to excite me now they SCARE me. I never imagined how difficult it was going to be, freeing myself from this addiction. I don’t ever want to be back in it’s grip again.

Tbc

Coming back to your point, I think everyone would agree that the best way forward is to give up gambling completely. Gambling is more than about money, it messes with your mind, body and soul.

Maybe I’m being naive thinking I could one day go back to being a responsible gambler but I genuinely believe I could as long as I didn’t go anywhere near a slot machine. For now, my goal is to remain gamble free for 365 days. I’m hoping that by giving myself a year, gambling will have lost its appeal and I may be able to go back to buying the occasional lotto ticket, bet on the horses.

I realise that I’m expressing these views as someone who has a problem with gambling but not to the point of being a compulsive.

I respect the fact that you do not share my opinion, perhaps we could agree to disagree?

I think it’s inevitable on an open forum that people will have opposing opinions depending upon their circumstance and gambling experience.

I’m sorry you’ve had such a long struggle with this addiction, hope you stick around !

All the very best, Joanne x

P.s. I guess what I’m trying to say is , I dont want to be a problem gambler nor do I want to be someone who doesn’t or can’t gamble, I just want to be NORMAL , the average Jo who has a bet on the Grand National and buys the occasional lotto ticket.

I genuinely believe in time I can be that person.

I’ll shut up now!