Comments

Trevor

Hi Jane,
Greece in August. Off to London this weekend with the wife. Just got to stick to her like glue or I’ll probably go walking into the Devils lair.
So London should be and a nice break if I don’t screw it up.
I hope you are getting on the mend.

To everyone, keep trying, get that life back….but for those that gambling has been for long part of our life….carve a new life out. There are millions of adults who don’t gamble or rarely……they can do it….so why don’t we…..I know we are addicts….but don’t write ourselves off. Keep trying.

If you can still gamble, there’s a very good chance you will. Simple as that. Since I blocked all my angles to gamble, I feel a sense of freedom. The urges have gone, the conflict is gone. The torment is gone. I don’t have to fight it anymore because I know I can’t gamble, so I am free to get on with just being me.
This torment will go on for as long as you let it. I should have done so much more far sooner but I allowed the addiction to control my decisions. Now that I have taken control, I can take my life in the direction that I want to go. No more going backwards, no more going around in circles. I can be proud of myself and my decision to take back my life.

Remember that you have a choice. If you believe you have no control, then you will have no control. If you believe you can’t change, then you never will.
You can keep talking about it, or you can do something about it. Just remember that while you are sitting on the fence, lying to yourself, or still trying to decide if you really have had enough, you are setting yourself back further and further and damaging your chances of ever being free from gambling.

Ask yourself, are you actually trying to stop gambling, or are you just trying not to lose?

Self-exclusion dot co dot uk

This site gives advice on how to self exclude from bookies, arcades. There’s a useful telephone number .

Trevor

Hi. I’ve used this self exclusion site. It works for me. Naturally you need to abide by it. Not like the online self exclusion where the computer says no if you try and use the online gambling. We have to abide by the self exclusion and say no. I admit It hasn’t worked 100% due to me. Worked 98% of the time though.

Keep trying to abstain Mat. It’s difficult but it is worthwhile. For the last 20 years I will have gambled at least once a month….never 30days consequtive either. But I’m now gaining more self control than I ever have. Seeing a side of the old Trev and being a better person. I will have wobbles and some relapses and I will live with that, but hopefully this will become less frequent as I look to other interests etc.

Keep trying.

You will stop gambling eventually, here’s the exit points …..

When you run out of money

When you’ve flogged everything and anything of any value to feed your habit

When you’ve borrowed more than you can afford to pay back

When you’ve committed a crime to feed your habit.

Take your pick …. or have the good sense to try and STOP NOW.

Of course some people may never reach these exit points and may get stuck on the endless merry-go-round of winning , losing, chasing losses for 10, 30 years, whatever but they’ll just slowly haemorrhage money that could have been used for a more fullfilling life.

Sorry if these posts seem harsh but it is the reality of gambling.

Gambling is a pointless exercise and a complete waste of precious time.

Mat, you know how to fix this mess but you must understand that you have to make this happen for yourself. It’s not just going to get magically better. Forget the money. THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY. If you keep focusing on all the money lost, you will never be able to stop gambling because gambling can theoretically fix all that if you win it back. Isn’t that what you have been trying to do all these years?? Isn’t that what drives your gambling?
You must focus on the way you feel like shit every time this happens. You don’t feel good when you gamble and lose and you don’t feel good when you gamble and win. You know you will lose it again so it serves only to unsettle you, torment you and increase the likelihood of you gambling again. Look at this logically, not from an addiction point of view. You have lost £100,000. You can NEVER win that back. To try to do so would be suicide. All you can afford to do is place small, cautious bets trying to just squeeze a little cash out of them. You cannot afford to bet enough to get this amount of money back and if you tried, you would most definitely be on the streets. In other words, you are just stringing yourself along. Allowing the industry to insult you and throw you pennies back when you have lost thousands. In doing so, you continue to add to your losses. YOU HAVE WON NOTHING. No matter how many times your brain remembers winning. On paper, your finances have plummeted since you started gambling. Believing anything else will fuel your addiction further. What figure do you want your losses to be next??? £125,000, £150,000, £200,00?? This is your future, Mat if you don’t draw the line. Of you could have £100,000 in the bank. Your money to reflect your efforts in life.

Focus on your health, your depression, anxiety. All the things that gambling cannot possibly fix. These are the things that will help you see the benefits in being a non gambler. Otherwise, you will just see not gambling as a means of preventing you from winning again.

If you cannot see the sense in stopping, you must at least prevent yourself from gambling. There is so much more you can do but you lock yourself up in the house, afraid to go out as if you have zero control. YOU HAVE CONTROL. You just need to use it.
There is a demon inside and it is the addiction. You starve it and it dies. You feed it and it will possess you for the rest of your life.
Please make this torture end and wake up to the self inflicted misery you are inviting upon yourself. You are so young and have so much to offer the world but you choose to see yourself as a piece of shit. How can you possibly hope to break free from addiction if you do not even love yourself enough to stop?

Mat wake up! Your doing this to yourself! You post here how bad gambling is yet the next thing you do is go out and gamble. Your always full of excuses as to why you gamble, that you cannot walk home without seeing betting shops, that you have no friends, that you live in a shitty leaking apartment, you hate your job blah blah
Time to MAKE CHANGES How many times have I told you?

Had you:

Self Excluded
Moved area
Started a new Hobby
Went out to meet friends
Went to see a movie when you had urges
LOCKED YOUR MONEY UP

Then you would have never lost $1500!
Your NOT a piece of shit YOU do need TO GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!
You can make excuses for all my suggestions but there is no excuse for not locking your money up! You have a addiction and the more you gamble the stronger it will get so if you cannot control yourself then lock all your money up it’s that simple!

Or go on a short holiday where there are NO gambling venues to the countryside or something to clear your head.

Next time you have urges go to church or go help the homeless out instead!

That walk of shame yesterday everyone in town happy laughing and shopping and me walking with head down wanting to disappear, 1500 I had and 30 minutes later nothing, I couldn’t even get breakfast not even £5 was left. This is hell why do we do this. Now its over 10 years I have been doing this I remember my 18th bday I lost £100s in minutes family gave me money then I f***** lost it.
I am such a piece of shit I took money from my grandmother then lost it I want to punch myself in the face I cant stand my stupidity its like there is some demon inside.
I have the worst feeling now so much money was lost in that 10 years it must be close to 100.000 I am full of regrets.

I keep falling for the same shit, 2 weeks ago I won over a 1000 it seems like easy money then I always put it back trying to win more now its gone plus more, 10 years on and off the same shit. Any win is just an expensive loan it always goes back to fuel more gambling. I knew it was going to happen.
Its not the end of the world I just need to move some stuff to get the money and I must stop gambling.

I’ve got to the point where I can see that gambling again is a complete waste of time. The trouble is we tend to focus only on the last loss and think if we can just get that money back, then we will be okay. But it doesn’t happen that way. Plenty of times, I have won my last loss back and still I have gambled again and lost it all. Winning back losses doesn’t change anything. You know that already, Mat. It only sets you up to lose it again and then costs you more trying to win it back. It takes a lot to walk away from a loss but if you can, it can finally be your last loss. Imagine that? Try to see how pointless all your gambling has been. How happy you felt when you won some money back and how angry you felt when you lost it again. All those pointless emotions on this stupid merry go round. You start to realise that it really is a complete waste of your time.

It’s better to walk away and know where you stand. Put your losses behind you and keep your money however little in your pocket. It’s better to have a hundred quid than owe a hundred quid.
Perhaps you can pawn some stuff to save you from selling things. Perhaps you are still owed some money or have plans for more work in the future. There are bits of me all over the world because of my gambling. I have lost so much stuff over the years. I kept saying never again but I didn’t mean it until now.
Now it really is never again.
I’m done with this crap. I don’t care if I don’t have lots of money. I just don’t want to feel that low ever again. Gambling creates the worst feelings inside. Such despair. It’s such a lonely feeling too and makes you feel dysfunctional as a person.
You see people getting on with life and being happy and successful and then you look at your own self and wonder what people would think of you if they knew. You wonder would they understand. Would they treat you differently?
I walked past a few casino’s in Dublin and I seen that they were open till 6am! I had a really weird feeling when I looked in. It made me feel grimy and dirty and I have never felt that before. I think for the first time I actually felt repulsed at what I have been doing all these years. I didn’t want to be associated with those inside. I didn’t see myself as being like them.
I know that deep down, I’m just the same as them but for the first time, I really wanted not to be.
Stay well, Mat and everyone.

C.M. I think you got designs on Joanne.

The National Problem Gambling Clinic

Warwick Road

LONDON

SW5

Hi, Trevor, good to hear from you. Hope you are well. Thanks for your concern for my mum. I have been for a chat and a coffee with her earlier and she is in good spirits. Managed to make her laugh and take her mind off things. Hope it is a scare, but like I said to her, if it is bad news, it has been caught super early. She cannot even feel a lump yet, just stood out on the mammogram she had which was routine follow up care every year since the first time she got sick. She deals with the idea of the cancer well, it’s the chemo she can’t handle. It made her so, so ill. She couldn’t stand it. It didn’t suit her at all and she became very depressed with the treatment which is for many the worst part of it all.
I am glad that I have the back up of gamstop with being at home at the minute. I have just paid all the 1st of the month bills and rent so I have nothing to worry about for a while cos I have nothing left! Ha ha, I enjoyed a bit of relaxed spending on my break which was nice not to be watching money quite so much.
When is your holiday, Trevor, you are going to Greece aren’t you? We go away again in July for our usual UK caravan holiday and it is great because I have something to look forward to again and focus on. We are not touring, we are staying in a nice 8 berth caravan with all the trimmings so I won’t be expected to rub sticks together to make dinner! I don’t mind camping or roughing it at all that but the kids wouldn’t grasp the concept of a simple tent and would be looking for a place to plug in their straighteners and consoles. My son recently considered us lost because we had ventured off the path into the woods for more than half an hour and said to me that we will need to make the diet coke last or we might have to drink the puddle water! He was deadly serious. He was also 13! Kids are so soft these days!
Have a good evening Trevor.

Hope you feel better soon, Mat. Leave gambling behind. Leave the losses behind. It’s time now. The future can be different or it can be full of endless repeats of the past. It’s not the loss of money that gets us down you know. That is just a symptom but it is not the problem. The problem is that we constantly repeat the same cycle. It is demoralising and makes us feel defective. Keep your money when you get paid again. People need to see something for their efforts to make them feel valid and worthwhile. Next time you EARN, make sure you LEARN and don’t gamble again. Who wants to work for nothing? Then you can watch your savings grow and your self esteem along with it.

Trevor

Hi Jane,
Just catching up on posts. Sorry you having a very rough time, but pleased you persevered with going on the holiday……a type of perseverance we all need to have to help us stop gambling for good.

Not putting ideas on your head….but home alone near a tablet could be a trap….so please be extra vigilant with yourself. Whatever happens at the hospital try and be strong for her and not turn to your tablet for comfort….just be mindful. I pray it us just a scare.

Take care….pleased Ireland was good.

Trevor

Jane….her I meant you Mum.

Trevor

Mat,
As London is full of temptation and no job holding you down…could you move to a less gambling populated location….just a thought.

The change you need can really only be made by you….seek lots of help if you want to, but the change has got to be from you and material change. Your mindset of any change has got to be backed up with self exclusions in my opinion. Just saying your going to stop may not necessarily work. You need to put up barriers and put in safe guards.

Not sure if this is possible, but could you put money on some type of card from asda or Tesco or sainburys…so you have funds on their to live, you can’t spend it gambling…youve tied your funds into a safe haven and use the funds to buy food and essentials…..

Keep trying to stop or have a break from gsmbling, no matter how low or skint you are….keep trying. The gambling industry will never close their door on you….they don’t care about you….they care about the wallet in your pocket. You owe them nothing.

Keep trying.

I’ve just been catching up and Mat, I really don’t know what to say .
Do you want to be sleeping rough , shivering under a blanket , on a freezing cold winter’s night with nothing but the clothes on your back?

Have you ever considered Gordon Moody?I’ve just been on their website and you can apply for help. There is no shame in asking for help Mat, gambling addiction is an ILLNESS. It needs treating just the same as a broken arm. You’re suffering Mat, you need to seek help.

In the meantime, take care. Joanne

Another website…

Betterfutures dot uk

Loser

Joanne I am sure if we met I would have a night with you, why not? I think we would have a lot of fun between the sheets lol

CM

You sad, sad pathetic cunt. Honestly

No I wasn’t brighter I have been suffering with urges all week today I just lost £1500 pretty much all cash and current account money now I am left with no money, I will have to sell things just to live and I am with no work. I didn’t even win a single spin in 1500, 30+ losing spins again its sick.
I don’t know what next.

Jane , sorry to hear about your fall, very brave of you tackling your trip when in so much pain.

Although nothing in comparison to what you’re going through I once slipped something in my back, I could walk , stand but when I went to climb stairs , after putting one foot on the first step, all the strength would go from my legs and I would completely buckle and fall down , really weird. On one occasion I ended up in a heap at the bottom of WH Smith’s stairway. I felt a right fool. It sorted itself out after about 4 weeks.

I mentioned cancer in one of my posts recently , I hope it wasn’t insensitive of me, it must be a very difficult time for your mum and all of you.

Really busy at work these days, I think I may have to start leaving my phone at home so I’m not distracted. I’m going to sign off a piece of paper work with the name ‘Joanne’ one of these days!

Mat, you’re sounding a bit brighter in your last post, keep strong, try for a month gamble-free and you’ll definitely win , STAR PUPIL OF THE MONTH. We all need a bit of company so if you do go out and about , take very little money with you so you can’t get lured into playing the fobts. If the newspapers are anything to go by London is becoming a very dangerous place to live in.

Take care everyone, Joanne

Sounds awful, Joanne. Backs are scary when they go wrong. You don’t realise how lucky you are when you can just move about normally. I won’t be taking that for granted any more. My partner did something to his back getting out of bed once and it laid him up for weeks. The postman had knocked early and he tried to get up quick and it just went. To make it worse, he had a really bad cough and cold at the time and would panic every time he needed to cough or sneeze cos it hurt so much.
You can’t help but feel sorry for yourself when these things happen, especially when you have worked hard to have something nice like a break away, but then you just have to get on with it. There was a lot of Scottish accents over there and some lively Scottish voices in the bar on the boat!
I would have wasted all the money if I didn’t go cos it was non refundable and I didn’t take out insurance so if I didn’t go, I would get nothing back for the hotel or the travel tickets. That would not have gone down well with me and my gambling mentality because it would make me feel weird about wasting money again so I really pushed myself and was happy with the way it turned out in the end.
They were some people still protesting over the abortion laws. Some still not happy that it went ahead. CNN was filming a group of people where we had to pass by, and I just thought, Oh God, don’t approach me cos I can’t run away fast enough with my knees! Don’t want to get dragged in to anything controversial in the middle of Dublin where the majority voted in favour. My answer is simple anyway. Give people the choice to make their own decisions but educate them enough to make the right ones. It’s sad that a woman can get a longer jail term for having an illegal abortion due to rape than the person who did the crime. Personally, I would hope never to have to be in a position to consider it, but I also believe that every circumstance is different and that just because the choice is there, does not mean that the choice will always be made. The decision is best left to the individual than the state.

Mat, do you mean you have gambled again today? You are punishing yourself terribly. You can never win your money back and each time you gamble, it will make you do it again. Don’t you see, it doesn’t matter what the outcome is? Win or lose, it’s the same thing. You could come on here and say, I won my money back and then in a week, it will still be gone again and then more on top.
There’s no stopping this except to stop it completely. Selling your stuff sucks. I have done that so many times. The same cycle every month. People bidding for my favourite things. It made me sick. I won’t go through it again. You have got to stop trying to redeem yourself by winning your money back because it is pointless even if you do. There is only way out.
Time to cut the ties now and throw everything you’ve got into stopping or you could end up on the streets like the many people I saw in Dublin, holding a paper cup out for change.
If you think that can’t happen, think again.

No amount of advice can make you stop, Mat. Only you can decide when you have had enough. I’ve had enough, haven’t you?

DAY 84 I can smell 100 day special coming Mmmmmm loving the aroma!

Loser, that guy I use to see down the casino, there’s no way he’s done 84 days gamble free, really?! , I’m finding that hard to believe , nope it’s true I’m not kidding you, well stone the crows , who would have thought that, loser 84 days gamble free!! I hear he’s looking pretty hot too, mmmm he’s a bit of alright, nice guy too, wouldn’t mind a bit of him!

Well done, LOSER

Thanks for your comments. I must admit, the accident has made me slow down a bit. Scared me because I felt so vulnerable, more so than any gambling loss. Health means so much and is my biggest reason for stopping gambling. It has helped put things in perspective, so you are right, Loser, I can make something good out of a bad situation.

Mat, I started gambling because I thought I was lacking something in my life. The ironic thing is that now I really am lacking something in my life because gambling pushed all the good stuff away. I was fine before, I just needed to accept a bad day and bad fortune when it comes and not look for unhealthy ways to deal with life’s problems.
Sometimes there is no reason why we gamble. I think it is all about the habit that has been forged over such a long period that it becomes part of our personality and part of who we are. I think that is why I felt like I was giving up a part of myself and resented it at first. I wanted to keep gambling in my life and so I tried to convince myself that I could handle it, that it was still okay, but it wasn’t. It was killing me.

Now, I have almost done a month and it feels good again. No going backwards for me anymore. My kids faces when I had to go to A&E was enough to make me realise that people need me, people rely on me and that I have a duty and responsibility not only to myself but to them to get this sorted. There was no way I was getting in the way of this holiday.
I practically had to be carried on to the ship to Ireland and was holding up the queue. I looked like Stone Cold Steve Austin with my knee braces! I had been sat in one position on the train to Wales for 2 hours and when it was time to get off, I couldn’t move! Luckily, it freed up enough to get me there and hobble my way through Dublin. Still managed to spend a fair bit though! Dublin is a shopper’s paradise! Got to change my exercise plan though and no impact running. Bloody hell, you don’t even realise how much is going on in your joints till you hurt them. It will take about 6 weeks to heal I am told though the good thing is I don’t have to peg the washing out or do the dishes! This morning, I got boiled egg and soldiers in bed! Work is letting me do stuff from home so that’s a help. Last thing I need is to miss out on wages. I can walk but I can’t stand if that makes sense. Standing still is very painful.
Going to hospital on Thursday with mum to see what’s going on. Feel so bad for her, it really is one thing after the other but again, I can see from this that we should be doing things properly and not gambling our life away. It is precious and should be used well. I am going to make good use of my days from now on. I am going to get strong again and I am going to put all the bad stuff behind me and leave it there.

Welcome back Jane,

Sorry to hear about your mother and your fall sometimes life presents it self in mysterious ways if you can get through this without the support of gambling then you will go along way.

Thanks for the replies, Jane sorry to hear about your mother and accident life is a struggle I had messed up my knee while running 2 years ago took me 2 months to recover first week I couldn’t move.
Anon you are right once we lose we have to get it back causing often bigger losses, when we win is never enough, recently I saw some asian man play two machines at once he put only around 200 he had a balance of 1400 in one and 800 in other of course it was not enough he then lost it all and put another 1000 on top later he was crying and praying it was pathetic to watch. FOBT is an ATM when you started playing at 17 like me, I turned couple of hundred into thousands when I started it messes you up forever.
Joanne there is no easy answer I don’t know why we do it, sometimes I used to chat to people in bookies but when I lose people leave and I tell them to f*** off
Loser again I have many hobbies, go gym and still ended up gambling I drink coffee whether I win or lose.
We try to find answer to why we gamble but there is no answer there are people who have a perfect life, wife and friends and they still gamble and ruin their life.
I try to control it as much as I can I have some things in place and invested a lot of money in different places if I lose it will be at most 1000-1500, worst thing you can do is have easy access to all your money that’s what I learned in the past.

I think some people on the forum have an unhealthy relationship with money. They are basically tight-wads who don’t like parting with money. When they get an unexpected bill it’s like a major trauma for them and its moan, moan. Then they gamble in the hope of winning some and when it doesn’t work out , it’s doubly devastating for them .

I think some people need to rethink their attitude towards money.

You treat a FOBT as if it were a cash machine.

You won’t stop gambling until you break that link that you have created in your head that a FOBT is an ATM..

You’re basically creating your own misery.

Hi everyone. Glad to hear most of you are doing well. I’ve been back off holiday since Friday but been busy doing physio. Went for a run around the local park before we were due to go to Ireland on Tuesday. The grass was really long on the park and I didn’t see that there were some holes in the ground. Badly twisted my knees and stopped the run. It hurt, but didn’t think too much of it. Even the next day was fine, but then on Sunday when of course the doctors were closed and it was bank holiday the next day, my legs swelled up and I literally could not stand. I was in agony, tried to get up and both knees buckled and gave way. Had to go up to A & E and was told that I’d torn front and back ligaments in both knees.
Couldn’t see myself going on this holiday but somehow I managed it. (very stubborn) I iced every hour and took strong pain killers and rested until it was time to go on Tuesday.
Had to wear braces on holiday which didn’t go so well with my outfit. I’m still in a lot of pain but I feel good as far as gambling goes. If this would have happened to me while I was gambling, I would not be in as good a position to deal with it. The break still did me good but I came back to even more bad news. My mum rung me and she has to go back to hospital as they think her cancer is back. This will be the third time. Seems cruel on the face of it, but it is life and she will get through this just like before.

Life is not always good and you don’t always get what you want or what you deserve but one thing I do know is that gambling makes even the smallest of trials seem too difficult. It is not just another problem, it is something that makes all other problems many times worse.

Had very few urges to bet and when I did, I was able to work through them. I know that I get them when I’m upset, just like you do, Mat, but that is because part of you still regards gambling as something that makes you feel better even though you know that gambling is hurting you. Your stomach and your headaches are showing you the real way gambling makes you feel. You should not ignore these signs. They are trying to make you see the harm you are doing by gambling again.

No amount of money won or lost can show you that you have a gambling problem. Gambling is an emotional problem, not a financial one. It has financial consequences of course. Many think they are entitled to a win because they have lost so much. What you need to remember, Mat is an addict’s gambling is not about winning at all. It is about betting. It is about feeding the addiction. That’s why no matter how much you win or lose, you will not want to stop gambling. What, in essence we are doing is allowing the machine to suppress us, depress us and make us down, then looking for it to pick us up again with a win. We are surrendering all our emotional states to a machine. Many people will say that winning is sweeter after a horrible losing streak because then it seems like it is worth going through to get that elation in the end. Most addicts don’t even gamble for money, but instead they gamble for money to gamble with! They want to gamble so that they can gamble some more. It’s more about being able to play the games than to actually go home with anything in our pockets.
Personally, Mat, I feel the type of gambling that you engage in is most harmful as it is too fast to process and there is literally seconds between betting and the outcome which means you get in the trance because of the speed of play. I think this type of gambling is worse because it allows no time to prolong the outcome like betting ahead on sports events. Money is gone in minutes without enough time to think about what is happening.
Do not look for gambling to help you out of a bad mood when you know full well that the reason you feel bad is because of gambling. I feel bad now, but if I gamble, I will feel worse. I will not allow gambling to control me or the way I feel. Accept that you feel bad sometimes, we all do. It’s okay to feel that conflict inside. Just work through your urges instead of feeling like you have to be locked up inside the house. You are not out of control, Mat. You have control. You just need to use it and stop being impulsive and allowing gambling to control you. Understand that when you gamble, you are giving in. You can say yes I will gamble, or no, I will not. Urges cannot force you to bet. You cannot bet if you do not go to the bookies. You can walk by. Learn to trust yourself and what your body is telling you about gambling. Forget what your brain tells you. Listen to the pain in your head and in your stomach and break free from this.
Feel good about yourself, Mat and if life deals you a shit hand, work with it and hope you get a better deal next time. Don’t choose to believe that the shit hand is what you deserve. It is not personal. Is my mum a bad person because she is facing cancer now for the third time? Did I tear my knees because I didn’t deserve a holiday? Of course not, though I felt like that at first. Then I dealt with it and pushed through the pain.

Shit happens. You often say the bad luck continues, but it isn’t bad luck that is making you feel bad, it is your gambling. It isn’t bad luck that you lost, Mat. It’s only bad that you gambled. It’s also not bad luck what happened to your bike. It was a conscious decision of someone else to steal it. Do not look inwards as to why this happened to you. It does not reflect negatively upon you even though it affects you negatively. The two are very different things.
You’re a good guy, Mat. Remember that.
Wishing you well.

Mat,

What do you think keeps you clinging on to Gambling?

Do you see it as a means of making money?

Do you still believe you can recoup your losses?

or

Is the bookies somewhere to go to meet people and have a bit of a chat.

Let’s pretend you were like me and were an online gambler, would you be able to sign up to Gam Stop and finally let go of gambling.

It’s quite interesting because much as I would say I loved playing the slots, I have always wanted to give it up but I just couldn’t get a grip on things. I probably came across as the person on the forum who least wanted to let go of gambling but I have always wanted to stop. It was impossible at times for me to tie up money, I don’t even have a bank on my doorstep, just a boarded up building. I need to travel 2 hours just to get to my nearest branch.

I realise it’s difficult for you, but try and get out and about.

Hi Mat,

Your method to try and stop gambling will never work because their is a deep rooted reason as to why you started gambling in the first place or why you continue to seek solace in gambling. I have noticed that a common thing amongst us is that we are all bored, lonely or nothing to do.

Why not go to the pools and have a swim?
Go Bowling?
Make new friends and then meet them for coffee?
Go watch a movie?

Whilst I still have urges when I get stressed I have resolved one issue and that is my BOREDOM. By taking up a new hobby I have less free time, less free money and it keeps me very occupied. I will hit 100 day’s this month and it’s been pretty easy compared to all the other times I have attempted to stop.

You simply could move to a place with less bookies yet you always say it but do nothing. Unless you make changes NOTHING WILL CHANGE!

Hope what I say sinks in and helps you this time. Look at Joanne took her a while but she finally committed to make a change and self excluded with Gam stop. She has gone 10 days and didn’t even buy a scratchie! Slowly Joanne will make improvements she just needs to stop putting barrier’s up in meeting new people. Joanne email me I know where that Frosty Fruit went lol

For me its more difficult one part of me wants to stop gambling the other wants to play, I am having some urges and each time I get upset they get stronger, didn’t play since Tuesday but I cant hide forever I have been avoiding going to town staying home is driving me mad.